Though the title of this post is deliciously tempting, be assured, if you or someone you love is allergic to chocolate, you can substitute CAROB powder for the cocoa powder and have the same scrumptious and devilish treat. I know because I’m allergic to chocolate and make this with carob all the time. Daughter and hubby actually prefer the carob, so I’m certainly a happy camper.
(btw – carob powder can be purchased in most health food stores. Use it the same as cocoa powder. In everything and in the same amounts)
Fudgy 2-Layer Chocolate (or CAROB) Cake
45 minutes preparation ~ 25-30 minutes baking
1 ¾ cups flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa (or CAROB) powder
1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ¼ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
¾ cup butter, softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups buttermilk
chocolate frosting (or… completely combine vanilla frosting with 2-3 tablespoons of carob powder)
optional – sweetened chocolate (or carob) bar for garnish
1. Preheat over to 350*
2. Line bottoms of two 9-inch round cake pans with waxed paper. Grease paper and sides of pans. Dust with cocoa (or carob) powder.
3. Mix flour, cocoa (or carob), baking soda, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, beat butter and both sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla.
4. At low speed, alternately beat flour mixture and buttermilk into butter mixture just until blended. Divide batter equally between prepared pans.
5. Bake cakes 25 – 30 minutes, test for doneness. Transfer pans to wire racks to cool for 10 minutes. Turn out onto racks. Remove paper. Turn layers top-side up and cool completely.
6. Place 1 cake layer on serving plate and spread with frosting. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread frosting on top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with sweetened cocoa (or carob) shavings.
ENJOY!!!! And please – let me know what you think.